Re: Background Info On Trap

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Background Info On Trap
From: James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 09:51:47 -0500
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
The traps pre-define for trapgend, the subagent, are a very small subset of
all possible AIX errors.

The specific trap number   is the decimal representation of a hex number
which represents the AIX error template.  So you turn the specific trap
number (-1413997355) into its hex equivalent (A6681CD5) and look for that
in the AIX error templates defined on your system.   I recommend doing it
like this:
      errpt -t > error.templates
and then browsing the file.  This shows all the AIX errors defined on your
system.   More might be added by additional software and you should be
aware that the numbers are version/release dependent.  My AIX 4.3.1 system
does not show this template, for example.

You can see whether one of these errors has occurred on your system by
doing:
      errpt -a  > AIX.errors
and browsing that file.   To see whether the error has been made alertable,
so that trapgend will send a trap for it, do:
     errpt -tF alert=1
This gives you a list of all the errors which will cause a trap to be sent
by trapgend.

To add one which is not in the list, do this:

     Type  errupdate and press "Enter"
     Type    = AA8AB241:    (or whatever hex number you need) and press
"Enter"
     Type    Alert=TRUE     and press "Enter"
     Type    ctrl-d ctrl-d

For an extended discussion on why you would play this game, see the redbook
"Examples of Using NetView for AIX", GG24-4327-00.  It was written for
Version 3, but everything in it is still valid.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Simon Long <simon@nettrack.com.au> on 02/15/99 09:57:07 PM

Please respond to simon@nettrack.com.au