Re: Events to different TEC servers

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Events to different TEC servers
From: James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 15:05:18 -0500
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
I will try to explain this as best I can, but I would not be overly
concerned about the details of this when there is no reason to be.   Unless
you have a definite conflict -- you added an event class to trapd.conf for
some event to be better able to do something in TEC you wanted to do, and
now TIPN wants to give it another, different class -- I don't see that
there is anything to worry about.  But customizing traps, for whatever
reason always carries that risk -- you may have to re-do your customization
later if your environment changes.

The TIPN stuff, I think, assumes that you will use the internal NetView
adapter for TIPN, because it updates trapd.conf.  But you could modify the
external adapter to do the same job  -- at least I see no reason why you
could not.   Why you would want to do so is still up to you.  In my append
about using the two adapters at the same time I was not recommending that
approach.  I was only pointing out that it is possible.

The two event adapters, the internal one via nvserverd and the external one
from TEC work, differently.  The external one adds those event classes to
the event according to its config files before the event is sent.  The
.baroc file, which is what the list you see in the Adapter's book is made
from, just enumerates those for TEC.  With the external adapter you use a
filter to decide what to send to TEC, and thus you can send all sorts of
"Log Only" NetView events without modifying trapd.conf, since the filter
has no knowledge of the event status.

With the internal adapter, "Log Only" events are not sent.  You have to
modify trapd.conf to get them to go, by giving them some other kind of
event status; and if you don't like the default nvserverd class, you must
also specify another event class.  You can use what is provided in
trapd.conf, or look in the tecad_nv6k .baroc file for other appropriate
classes you like better,  or you can make up your own.  What event class
you use is entirely up to you.  But you specify it in trapd.conf.

So changes to the trapd.conf file will only affect the use of the internal
adapter.  The external one will be blind to them.  And if you are using the
just the internal adapter, and you don't like what it is sending, you can
easily modify what is being sent.  One of the reasons the internal adapter
was created was because many users had said they found the setup and
customization of the external one to be too difficult.   So TIPN assumes
that is the adapter you will be using.  But if you are familiar with the
other one, you could modify it to do the same job, though as I said, I
don't see why you would want to.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

"Prokott, Joe" <Joe.Prokott@WESTGROUP.COM> on 02/16/99 01:35:24 PM