Re: Polling timeouts

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Polling timeouts
From: Booker Rosemary <rbooker@WOOLWORTHS.COM.AU>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 13:19:32 +1100
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
I've noticed a similar thing. I have changed the timeouts and retries a few
times and by quite a lot. Currently I have set timeout=15s; retries=6; and
status polling=2m to a group of routers in the network. I have run a sniffer
and watched what was happening. Once I saw the timeout = 15s, another time
it was 5s, and other times there was a retry of 1 sec, then 2 sec then and
then every 2 mins until the object came back up.

It was a bit difficult interpreting the traces as I am monitoring live
traffic in a large network, however, it does seem that the Status pings
don't seem to match the changes to the timeouts and retries and the SNMP
COnfiguration window.

I'm running NetView 5.1 on AIX 4.2.1

Its important for us to be able to vary the ping timeouts and retries as the
network has yet to be configured with a 'custom queing algorithm' which will
give UDP and ping a chance to survive under heavy traffic conditions. At the
moment a large number of pings are being dropped in the network, thus
causing lots of interface and node ups and downs.

Rosy

CAUTION: This Message may contain confidential information intended
only for the use of the addressee named above. If you are not the
intended recipient of this message you are hereby notified that any
use, dissemination, distribution or reproduction of this message is
prohibited. If you received this message in error please notify
Mail Administrators immediately. Any views expressed in this
message are those of the individual sender and may not necessarily
reflect the views of Woolworths Ltd.