Re: .Xdefaults file

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: .Xdefaults file
From: Jon Needes <jon.needes@ATS.UK.EDS.COM>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 15:04:38 +0000
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
"Redding, Jennifer" wrote:

> I am trying to change the default settings for the GUI.  I edited the
> .Xdefaults
> file in my $HOME directory.  I ran "xrdb -merge .Xdefaults" command and
> restarted NetView.  But I don't see any changes!
>
> They should be obvious.  For example, I changed the variable
> "displayCopyRightWindow" so that annoying CopyRight window doesn't
> appear.
>
> Any advice?
>
> Thank you,
> Jennifer

This is the approach we have adopted, which I think is the recommended
one:

In the users home directory:    mkdir app-defaults

Copy OVw and any other resource files you wish to edit to ~/app-defaults.

Locate X11_env.rc (probably in ~/.admin)

Add lines:

    setenv XAPPLRESDIR ~/app-defaults
    setenv XUSERFILESEARCHPATH
%N:$HOME/app-defaults/%N:/usr/lib/X11/app-defaults/%N:/tools_fdps2/resources/%N:

If changes are made to OVw etc in ~/app-defaults stop and restart NetView
to see the effects.

Advantages of this approach is that you can have different settings for
different users and the changes are preserved if you re-install NetView.

Jon Needes
EDS, Hook, UK