Re: Map icon colors

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Map icon colors
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 08:53:09 -0500
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
You do not need an application to do this.  On the read-writ map, you
simply right-click on the map icon, select Edit --> Modify/Describe -->
Symbol and you can change both the status source and the status to be what
you want.  But you will have to change them back again yourself (it is easy
to forget) and you will have to demand poll the router to get the proper
status back.

<soapbox on>
Personally I worry a lot about organizations where the help desk doesn't
know that a router is down for maintenance.  What do they tell a user who
calls in -- It looks OK to me?  In my humble opinion they should know which
ones are down.  Once they have made certain that the down status is OK,
they can always acknowledge it.  I was a customer for 8 years before I went
to work for IBM/Tivoli and it was part of my job then to make sure the help
desk knew what was going on.
<soapbox off>

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support