Re: processes are incorrectly parented...

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: processes are incorrectly parented...
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 12:47:57 -0500
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
I think Darius is on the right track.

There was a problem some time ago about some vendor (I don't remember whom)
tried to add a process to the ovsuf file which started a getty process.
Since this process would never have a parent of ovspmd but rather root, it
was always marked as incorrectly parented.  The solution was to take the
GUI process out of ovsuf and start it another way.  I thought they
(whomever they were) fixed this.

Anyway, take a look at /usr/OV/conf/ovsuf and see if you find a reference
to getty.  That'll be the offender.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

darius <dpovilaitis@MAIL.LBANK.LT> on 03/16/99 10:28:40 AM