Re: Admin Down & Status Propagation

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Admin Down & Status Propagation
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 00:01:21 -0500
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Well, in 5.1.1 they fixed a similar situation with unnumbered serial
interfaces. They just
quit counting them in the total number of things contributing to critical
status. Neat trick,
I thought.

This is the "way it is designed".  I called in the same problem.  Please
send mail to:
netview@tivoli.com
requesting a design change.  I think it is defective to have a router
which has suffered a power failure in marginal status instead of critical
status just because one of the interfaces was administratively down.  The
AD interface doesn't
count for status when all other interfaces are up, but it does when all
interfaces are down.   I believe that it should be treated as an unmanaged
interface in that regard.

"Whitehead, Neil" wrote:

> Hi list !
>
> I don't know if this is a bug, or my incompetence, or a design request!
> Still, press on...
>
> I'm using NetView v4.1.3 (maybe its fixed in v5 ?).
>
> Often I get device objects which are showing MARGINAL status even though
> every interface that I'm monitoring is actually down.
>
> What appears to be happening is that the parent object (usually a router
> with multiple interfaces) has many of these interfaces either Admin Down
> or Unmanaged. To my way of thinking, if an interface is Admin Down or
> Unmanaged, you don't really care about its status taking part in the
> Status propagation algorithm. NetView believes otherwise!
>
> The status propagation appears to be based on something like....
> (no. of  sub-objects marked down) / (Total number of sub-objects,
> regardless of whether they're unmanaged or Admin down).
>
> Is there a fix for this?
>
> What I'd really like would be for status propagation to be based on ...
> (No of sub-objects down) / (Total no of Sub-objects that are being
> monitored)
>
> Neil Whitehead (x22808)
> IT Services (Telecoms)
> The Royal Bank of Scotland
> Tel: 0131-523 2808
> e-mail: whitern@rbos.co.uk
>
> This e-mail message is confidential and for use by the addressee only.
If the message is received by anyone other than the addressee, please
return the message to the sender by replying to it and then delete the
message from your computer..

> 'Internet e-mails are not necessarily secure. The Royal Bank of Scotland
plc does not accept responsibility for changes made to this message after
it was sent.'

--
Ray Schafer                   | schafer@tkg.com
The Kernel Group              | Distributed Systems Management