Need help w/ collection

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Need help w/ collection
From: Sean Davidson <sean.davidson@MAIL.PUBLIX.COM>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 14:04:47 -0500
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>

I'm got a collection defined that currently has 600+ objects in it. The collection is used by our help desk to monitor a particular device at 600 of our locations.

Here are the details on the collection rules I'm currently using:

Collection: Store_Hubs
        Rule: ((IN_COLLECTION "BayStack_503") || (IN_COLLECTION "BayStack_15x"))

Collection: BayStack_503
        Rule: ('SNMP sysObjectID' = '1.3.6.1.4.1.45.3.27.1')

Collection: BayStack_15x
        Rule: ('SNMP sysObjectID' = '1.3.6.1.4.1.45.3.31.1')

The end result is that I get all the devices I need in the collection, but w/ that many devices, it is very difficult to read. As a result, I've added location containers w/ in the

Store_Hubs collection submap and am cutting and pasting between the collection and the location containers.

This apparently isn't the best way to define this collection. I'm getting duplicate objects in the collection, I've already got one object moved to the appropraite submap just below the collection and then the same object appearing in the New Object Holding Area in the Store_Hubs collection.

Is there a way to define a collection using a range of hostnames? All these devices have hostnames that go like:

s0xxxhub

where xxx is the location number. If I can define a range of hosts names in a collection, everything will take care of itself.

Thanks,
Sean Davidson

Sr. Network Systems Engineer
Publix Super Markets, Inc.