Re: seedfile and netmon -y: AIX 4.3.1 with Netview 5.1

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: seedfile and netmon -y: AIX 4.3.1 with Netview 5.1
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 21:20:04 -0500
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Not.
Putting explicit node entries in the seedfile WILL force their discovery if
they exist.  If you  are in a hurry,
netmon -y won't do it, in my experience. Stop/start kicks off that part of
the code. Removing them
from the seedfile will NOT remove them from the map. You have to remove
them from the map too.
Then, if there is nothing else in the seedfile that would allow that node
to be rediscovered, like a
range that includes, it, then removing it from the seedfile will prevent it
from being rediscovered.
In fact, I generally replace lists of nodes with ranges after initial
discovery, so as to avoid placing
and administrative burden on the customer.

You need to read about seedfiles in several places. There is the help for
netmon on the Tivoli
desktop context menu, and there are entries in a couple of the online
books, not to be confused
with the MLM seedfile. Also the man page for netmon has some information.

Netmon -y is good for advising netmon of changes in the filtering
functions, like wildcards and
ranges and oids, both inclusive and exclusive, but it does not seem to kick
off the part that
processes the explicit node entries. Perhaps it is supposed to, but it does
not look that way
to me.

Anyone having trouble with seed file?  From how I understand it ->
everything in
the seedfile, will be on the map.  To delete an item, remove from the
seed file; and run: netmon -y;  To add an item, add to the seed file, and
run:
netmon -y.   I'm assuming that is correct.

However, the items aren't showing up?  Is this the correct way?

The seed file is in the ovsuf file too.

Chad