MidLevel Manager's snmptrap app.

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: MidLevel Manager's snmptrap app.
From: Bob Engley <bob.engley@UALBERTA.CA>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 14:51:36 -0700
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Folks,
  I have been using NetView's midlevel manager to forward local
traps to NetView using default port 162 , but using TCP instead
of UDP. (Yes, we have a firewall!) This all works fine.
  However (There always seems to be a glitch), when testing the
link I sometimes would like to use snmptrap (the standalone)
application that comes with MidLevel Manager, and to make things
simple - NOT go through the midLevel manager, but send the trap
directly to our NetView machine.  The fact that "snmptrap -t ..."
doesn't reach Netview, but that "snmptrap ..." through the mlm
does work suggests that the snmptrap application doesn't work
correctly with tcp (the -t parameter)
 Has anyone had any success using snmptrap and tcp?

--
/in haste
/Bob