Re: [NV v5] MIB objects and collections

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: [NV v5] MIB objects and collections
From: Joe Fernandez <jfernand@KARDINIA.COM>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 15:31:14 +1000
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Hi Juan
At 11:31 AM 3/30/99 +0200, Juan Echevarria wrote:
>Hi Forumers,
>
>  I'm collecting mib objects ifInOctets and ifOutOctets to be able to
>monitor network traffic but I find some concerns:
>
>1. although the definition says it's the total number of octets, collected
>data show decimal figures

The  MIB defines these counters as totals but the NV data collector
calculates delta rates i.e it takes differences between successive poll
samples and divides by the polling interval. So you get bytes/sec values,
which can be (usually are) in decimals.

>2. the collected data are generally low for the bandwith and network
>traffic so I'm suspecting that ifInOctets and ifOutOctets provides not the
>total number but the average (total divided by period of time).
Raw ifInOctets and ifOutOctets are totals - try an snmpget on each one. But
the data collector stores rates of change. (This makes plotting easier.)

>Does anybody know another interesting mib for measuring network traffic or
>% of utilization?
To do that, you build an expression from MIB variables.
Our product Kardinia Performance Reporter for NetView provides the
capability to produce reports on metric expressions like this. See our web
site www.kardinia.com for more information and to download it for a free 30
day trial, if you wish.

>Thanks in advance,
>Juan.