Re: Problems with submaps being updated

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Problems with submaps being updated
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 1999 14:43:21 -0500
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Connie, I saw your append, and though I am not in Support, I checked in the
PMR database
and did not see anything. I looked again today and they are working on at
least one
customer reporting status problems with Solaris clients connected to and
AIX server. Is
this what you are doing? It does not appear that you have called support
about this.

I believe that you should be able to run just fine with only r/o maps
opened. If I had that
problem on AIX, which is all I work on, I would assume a defect was
involved. I think you
should call Support, because as far as I know, this is a supported
configuration.

That said, you are back-level. V5.0 was the first release of the product on
the SUN platform.
For that reason alone I would upgrade to V5.1, and from there to V5.1.1.
Both jumps are
basically bug-fix releases, and I think you may be looking at a bug. That's
my wild guess...

Let us all know how  this gets resolved.

I raised a question similiar to Blaine Owens question.  Can you explain to
me what is the story is with this problem?

Thanks

>Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 11:45:51 -0800
>To: NV-L@UCSBVM.ucsb.edu
>From: Connie Logg <cal@slac.stanford.edu>
>Subject: Problems with submaps being updated
>Bcc: lahey
>
>I am running netview 5.0 on Solaris on a very small network with 4 subnets
and about 200 nodes. The user runs a read-only map. We have noticed the
following problem with the updating of the icons.

>7 multihomed hosts were powered off.  On the root map (IP Internet) they
turned red. Clinking on the icon for any of them showed all interfaces to
be
red.  When the user drills down to the subnet level, the nodes are green.
Even refreshing the map does not change them to red.

>I brought up a read-write map, and they were green everywhere for a few
seconds. Very quickly they turned red on my read-write map and all subnet
maps.  The user's read-only map still showed them green in the subnet maps.
The user then refreshed the read-only map again, and everything was
updated.

>This is unacceptable.  The "users" are not network engineers. They are
accelerator operators who use the netview displays to validate the
connectivity of the network. It is critical that the netview display be up
to date and accurate so that they can quickly ascertain that something has
gone down. We do not want them to run a read-write map.

>How do we solve this problem? Are there daemon options that we can use?
Does netview only update map icons when a read-write map is opened?  The
up/down events are in the logs, so I know that it saw them.

>Thanks, Connie

" Of course the opinions expressed here are my own. "

Connie Logg    CAL@SLAC.Stanford.Edu  ph: 650-926-2879
Network Management and Performance Analyst
SLAC (MS 97), P.O. Box 4349, Stanford, CA 94309

"Happiness is found along the way, not at the end of the road."