Re: Discovery poll

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Discovery poll
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 21:45:47 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
The discovery poll button, as I understand it, is intended to allow you to
control new node discovery on a wildcard address basis. It used to be all
or nothing. It would not make much sense on a record that is for a single
node, or probably for a collection record, either.

When I see authentication errors such as you are seeing, it always turns
out to be some other management station out there that they have forgotten
about, or never new was there. Some PC somewhere, running something
that someone downloaded from somewhere, or something. They may not
be the only ones getting polled, but may be the only ones with
authentication
traps enabled and a trap destination set to your management station.

On the SNMP Configuration panel, down the bottom, is a check box for
discovery poll.  Does this box apply ONLY to the target that you are
currently specifying??  It appears so - if you check on a different
target, it is set at the usual default but I believe I have turned OFF
discovery poll for a specific node and I am still seeing polls.

This node is an 8260, configured to respond to get/set community name
that is not public.  We have also changed our default community name to
the same thing (also not public).  Using a sniffer, we see that NetView
is still sending SNMP gets to this 8260 using a community name of public
- I am assuming that these are discovery polls......  Since the 8260
doesn't support public as a community name, it keeps sending us traps.
Out of 1500 nodes, this and an NT print server, are the only machines
that seem to be getting a poll with public rather than our global
default.

Can anyone shine any light on this one??

Thanks,
Jane
--
Tivoli Certified Consultant