Re: TME NetView ping sweep

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: TME NetView ping sweep
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 14:48:42 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Clarification: Only Netview for NT has the ping-sweep option.
Address ranges in Netview for AIX do not force discovery, only allow it.

For initial discovery of quiet devices such as you are describing, I
usually
advise customers to give netmon an explicit list  (by name or address) to
force their initial discovery, and after that, replace the list with a
range that
will allow their discovery if new ones show up. If you know of a new one
(change control notifies you, of course), you only have to ping the address
to force its discovery. Often they show up on their own after a day or so.

Netview DOES do ping sweep methodology for autodiscovery.  You enter the
boundaries that you want it to 'sweep', in your seed file, and at a set
interval, it ping's all possible IP addresses in that seed file and not in
your current database.  Any ping that responds causes netview to create a
node for it.

You need to put the ranges in your seed file.

Will NetView discover a node automatically if its router has been left out
of its seed file?

Art DeBuigny
debuigny@dallas.net