SIA2.3.1 on AIX4.2.1

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: SIA2.3.1 on AIX4.2.1
From: Geoffrey Cheng <gcheng@CA.IBM.COM>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 16:50:46 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Hi.

     My problem is regarding SIA (System Information Agent). I know it's
withdrawn
     from support long time ago. But my customer is still using it
monitoring the
     production system before upgrading to new tools.

     The sympton is when we bring up sysinfod, it successfully registered
with
     the snmpd and communicate with it through a dynamically assigned port.
     But it will only last for 1 to 2 minutes. After that, the snmp request
through
     SMUX interface will hang ( in the snmpd log, we can see it's hanging
at
     lines following:

          DEBUG: sending request to (SMUX 127.0.0.1+4830+3)
          DEBUG: received response from (SMUX 127.0.0.1 + 4830 +3)
          DEBUG: sending 48 types to ....
          DEBUG: receiived 52 bytes from ...
          DEBUG: sending requests to (SMUX 127.0.0.1 + 4830 +3)
          (hang here)

     And the SMUX port shows like:

          tcp 0 0   loopback.smux   loopback.4830  FIN_WAIT_2
          tcp 0 0   loopback.4830    loopback.smux       CLOSE_WAIT

     The sysinfod process is still running. In sysinfod.log, the only
suspicious line
     is
          SNMP configuration file being used is: /var/adm/smv2/ovsnmp.conf
                  > Could not initialize odm
          Configuration file path is: /var/....

     However, when we kill and restart sysinfod, it will connect to snmpd
again
     and keep working for another 1 to 2 minutes.

     I've been isolating the problem by offloading all Monitor and Command
table
     customizations, reinstalling the SIA (successfully), but the problem
persists.
     And there is no errors can be captured through AIX syslogd.

     Does anybody recall something and can give me some experience and/or
clue?

     Thanks.

Best Regards

Geoffrey Cheng