Re: IBM Authentication failure trap???

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: IBM Authentication failure trap???
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Tue, 4 May 1999 14:18:16 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
If I am not mistaken, the enterprise id is that for AIX.  Sounds to me like
an snmpd peer may be trying to connect to snmpd but cannot.

Has anyone changed the snmpd.conf or snmpd.peers files on your box lately?
Do they still have entries in them for trapgend and mgragentd, with nv6000
for the password/community name?
Go look at their logs in /usr/OV/bin and see whether they show errors.

If that's not it, then try turning on the snmpd trace and see what it tells
you.
Edit /etc/snmpd.conf  and change the line for logging which says level=0 to
level=3.
The other logging line will tell you where the trace will go.  Change that
too if you don't like it.  Make sure it says "enabled"
after the file name .

Then do stopsrc -s snmpd  to stop the daemon and startsrc -s snmp to start
him again.
He will log all his activity to that file and perhaps you can figure out
what is going on there.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Matt Ashfield <mda@UNB.CA> on 05/04/99 01:42:47 PM