Re: How to stop an unknown trap....??

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: How to stop an unknown trap....??
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 10:29:30 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
You cannot stop a trap.  The only way you can stop it from being processed
is to turn it off at the source -- the Cisco router.
Anything else just wastes NetView cycles.

And you cannot suppress an unknown trap.  To suppress it you have to define
it and set it to "Log only"  or  Don't Log or Display" .  These options
will hide it but they still cost plenty of cpu cycles.  trapd gets the
trap, processes it, passes it to all connected trap receivers, and then
throws it away.  nvcorrd still runs it through every ruleset.  If you are
running forwardall.rs or some other forwarding ruleset, it still goes to
nvserverd.  And then to nvevents where it is suppressed, unless you
specifically open a workspace and tell it to display the "Log Only" or
"Don't Log or Display" events!

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Gord Michaels <gord_michaels@HOTMAIL.COM> on 05/18/99 10:12:22 AM