Trapd questions

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Trapd questions
From: Art DeBuigny <debuigny@DALLAS.NET>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 10:09:59 -0500
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
On occasion, we have been getting traps from Cisco routers when the state of the DLSW connection resets, in this case due to a reset at the FEP.

Recently, due to a major outage, we started getting these traps from every single router on the network.  It crashed netmon, ovtopmd, trapd, and even ovactiond.

I've tried setting the event customization to 'Do not log or display' but that didn't seem to help.  The situation only stablizes once all the routers DLSW connections have been restored, and traps are no longer flooding into the netview machine.

Since this can always happen again in the event of an outage, can anyone think of a way to 'protect' NetView's daemons from such a flood without actually stopping the trap at the source?  I've tried adjusting the connected applications queue size, but that apparently wasn't enough.

Thanks

Art DeBuigny
Bank of America Network Operations