Re: nvsec_admin problem

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: nvsec_admin problem
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 17:52:55 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
I am rather uncleear about your problem or exactly what you tried to do to
fix it.
Once you have security on, you use nvauth to get in.  Is that what you
tried?

There are ways to turn security off again.
Here's one from an old append.

>>Here is the best way to turn off security when you  find yourself unable
log any user in.  You might find other reasons that appeal to you too.
1. /usr/OV/install/tools/secutil -off  (manipulates the flag in the conf
file)
2. /usr/OV/bin/nvsecd -Q  (leaves all daemons running except nvsecd)
3. /usr/OV/bin/ovstart nvsecd  (ovspmd-aware daemon startup)
 Now security is off, and the root user can run /usr/OV/bin/nvsec_admin to
 diagnose user setup errors.
 A similar procedure can subsequently be used to turn security back on.
 1. /usr/OV/install/tools/secutil -on
 2.&3. same
 Note:  This procedure should not be used casually while EUI's are
 operating. It will cause NetView security to lose knowledge of all logged
 in users.  Subsequent use of security-conscious commands will result in
 failure of those commands, until the user logs in again, which can be done
 in the foreground xterm that started the EUI, via command line

 Another thing you could do to turn it off again is edit the security file
 as root:

 You can disable security in file /usr/OV/security/conf/sec.conf.
 You can set SECURITY_LEVEL_FLAG=OFF.

 Hope this helps
 James Shanks
 Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support