Re: RDBMS X "Flat files"

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: RDBMS X "Flat files"
From: "Ken Garst." <KGarst@GIANTOFMARYLAND.COM>
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 10:04:47 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
I am in the process of configuring the RIM to transfer trap and snmpCollect data
to an Oracle database under AIX 4.3.2 and NetView 5.1.1.  Once I am satisfied
that the "snapshot" transfers are correct, I will configure these transfers to
be in "archive" mode so they happen automatically.  The topology data is being
left in NetView's native flat files since there is no use in our environment for
storing historical topology data.

The only peformance "hit" I have noticed is that I specified the native
trapd.log file to be 4Mb so the snapshot transfers require at least that much
free space in the /tmp directory for temp storage when the snapshot occurs.
Unfortunately, I didn't have that much free space in /tmp so the initial
snapshot failed.

Incidentally, I have opened a problem report with Tivoli support on peculiar
error messages that appeared in the db.log and db.trace files for these
snapshots although the data was, in fact, actually transferred to the Oracle
database correctly.  (For those in the know, one question was about the relation
of the varInfo table which contains no records and the colData table that
actually has the records.)

Also, the sample code for creating a catalog view for Oracle in the Redbook
"Using Databases with Tivoli Applications and RIM", pg. 159 is incorrect and the
Query Facility will not work correctly.  The correct code is as follows:

create view QUERY_VIEW (VIEW_NAME)    /* The change is "VIEW_NAME" must be
singular, not plural as in the Redbook. */
as select TABLE_NAME as VIEW_NAME     /*  Drop all code pertaining to 'select
OWNER' as in the Rebook or the                   */
from ALL_TABLES where OWNER not in        /*  query facility will not
automatically populate the table description correctly.       */
('SYS', 'SYSTEM', 'SYSMAN','DBSNMP');

Regards,
ken
kgarst@giantofmaryland.com