Re: Incorrect Community Name

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Incorrect Community Name
From: MICHAEL_IMHOFF@HP-DENMARK-OM1.OM.HP.COM
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 1999 14:36:58 +0200
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
     It might not be your NetView that is causing this. It could be another
     application using SNMP, which hasn't been configured with the correct
     community name. This would cause your server to send a
     authenticationFailure Trap to it's trap destination (your NetView).

     Examples of such application could be other SNMP managers of print
     managers (e.g. HP JetAdmin).

     - Michael.

Author:  Non-HP-Raymond.Stoner (Raymond.Stoner@SPCORP.COM) at HP-Belgium,mimegw3
Date:    02-06-99 14:17

We have the same problem at times with some of our NT servers (Compaqs) .
The servers are both in NetView SNMP config properly and SNMP appears to be
configured properly on the Server. Pretty strange. Performed some SNMP
tracing on the event but results did not show much. So what we have done is
un-checked the send authentication trap box in the SNMP config on some of
the offending NT servers.