Re: Discovering Brand New Network

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Discovering Brand New Network
From: Art DeBuigny <debuigny@DALLAS.NET>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 10:04:19 -0500
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
The advice I could give you depends on many factors.  Do the devices have IP
addressing standards?  Are there DHCP ranges to be concenred about?  Just
what do you wish to exclude from monitoring?

What type of monitoring setup will be responsible for using the information
provided by NetView?  How well documented is your network?

There are many factors needed to determine the best way, but assuming you
have the documentation, I would either create a seed file with all your
routers, and then ranges for switches, hubs, etc, and any other devices
needed to be monitored, and then let NetView autodiscover, or you can use
loadhosts to do it manually.

How you arrange your map is dependent upon your momnitoring needs.  As a
general rule, I try to keep it to where I can always see the name of the
icon, as well as the type of icon, without having to zoom in.

Hope this helps!