collection update problem

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: collection update problem
From: Stephan Schwalb <sschwalb@DEBIS.DE>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 11:33:25 +0200
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Hi all,

we like to know if somebody experienced the same problem in the past:
Running NV 5.1.1 on AIX 4.2.1 with ~1000 routers (15000 objects),
having about 2 Maps opened in read-write mode.

We sometimes have the phenomenon that some of our collection doesn't
provide any changes on the GUI. These collections are checking the
ip-status (isNode=true && IPstatus=critical). After restarting NV,
collections are working well, but after some time collections run into
trouble
getting rid of nodes beeing IPstatus=normal (green) and collecting new
nodes
having switched to IPstatus=critical.

So our Nodes_Down Collection shows up friendly colored with nobody
having any use of it anymore. The database like the ip-map keep on the
actual status and also if querying the collection through CLI (nvUtil)
gives the right status back.

The only way to handle this is to delete/recreate the collection (only
temporarily
solution as the problem comes back soon) or restore old database.

Mit freundlichen Gruessen / With kind regards / Saludos

Stephan Schwalb

Systems engineer - Networkmanagement
debis - Systemhaus
Tel.: +49 (711)-17-49971