Re: Ping Devices

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Ping Devices
From: Art DeBuigny <debuigny@DALLAS.NET>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 10:06:04 -0500
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Anthony;

You will want to look into several things to get an idea of your impact.
First, setting netmon.trace options will allow you to get information on the
time it takes to poll your netmon.

By default, NetView is preconfigured with 16 pingers.  This means that at
any one time, no more than 16 pings are executing.  The duration is
configurable by you in snmp configuration on the GUI under options.

You can direct NetView to display its ping list for you into the
netmon.trace file.  If you determine that you have too many devices to ping
in a set amount of time, you can always increase the number of pingers to a
maximum of 32.  These are undocumented features, so you will not find them
in any of the man pages or manuals.

To dump the number of pings to netmon.trace, type 'netmon -a 11' or
'netmon -a 12'.

To up the number of pingers, edit your netmon.lrf file, add the options '-q
#' and '-Q #', where # is the number of pingers you want.

Then you need to run the ovdelobj netmon.lrf and ovaddobj.lrf command from
the /usr/OV/lrf directory.

Hope this helps

Art DeBuigny
debuigny@dallas.net