Re: Loading a MIB takes excessive machine resources

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Loading a MIB takes excessive machine resources
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 11:41:38 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Well, Chris, you cannot see it but there are dozens of error messages in
xnmloadmib and xnmloadmib2 but they will never see
the light of day if the code loops trying to read your database.  A loop is a
loop is a loop, and by definition if you could
break out of it, you wouldn't be looping.  That's what I fixed (or at least
tried to) in the fix I referred to.  So unless
you get the latest level and re-create your hosed database, we will never know
if my latest attempt to keep this from
happening was successful or not.  That is why I advised you to get it.

I think parsers that loop and don't give you messages are bad too

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Chris Cowan <chris.cowan@2ND-WAVE.COM> on 06/21/99 11:25:46 AM

<NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>