Re: Need advice - Use MLM or separate license of Netview for NT

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Need advice - Use MLM or separate license of Netview for NT
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 08:58:19 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
I expected some NetView for NT users to respond, but perhaps they are as
confused by your original note as I am.

First, when you say these local admins only want to give you read access, what
do you mean?  NetView and MLM do not alter the SNMP parms or any others on the
boxes they monitor.  We don't snmpset anything.  So I don't understand that
concern.  Maybe I just don't understand the situation.

Second, you can have both worlds with NetView NT so long as you and the local
guys can work together somewhat. NetView NT 5.1.1 has a special feature called
"attended MLM" where you install both MLM and NetView for NT on the same box.
The MLM reports to the upstream central site just as he otherwise would, but
NetView for NT is available as a local interface for those folks on site.  The
"attended" MLM midmand and netmon work out a kind of agreement as to who polls
what.  This prevents duplicate SNMP traffic as much as possible.   And  local
visibility makes your field folks a lot more comfortable.   As long as they
agree not to change it once you get it working, I think you can co-exist just
fine.

But NetView does not offer you a technical solution to a political problem, so
they will still have to buy into whatever you want to do.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

"Chance, Larry" <lchance@SFBCIC.COM> on 06/21/99 05:14:17 PM

      <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>