Re: NetView 5.1 on NT 4

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: NetView 5.1 on NT 4
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 15:32:30 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
The nvcord that was ported to NT does not have the same function nor role as it
does in UNIX.  The NT developers envisioned nvcord as providing a kind of active
filter for the Event Display, and they did not fully implement action processing
in this version.

There is no actionsvr daemon in NT so there is no one to pass the actions along
to.  That is why you do not see any actions in the sample rulesets on NT.  In
5.1.1 an APAR  (PJ25833) changed nvcord log  to say "Actions are disabled" when
an action is called because there is no functioning action node in NT.   In-line
actions are your only choice.  And unfortunately, in-line actions are broken as
well at the 5.1 level.  The same APAR which changed the action log message also
corrected the CreateProcess call in NT so that the in-line actions work.

If you want to do any action processing you will have to install 5.1.1 and even
then your options will be limited.  nvcord is not in the main event stream on
NT, so it can run in-line actions which take longer, but as they are still
in-line, you can slow down other processing.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Andrew Shappell <ashappell@DSSCORP.COM> on 06/22/99 01:25:07 PM

      <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>