Security Problem/Question...

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Security Problem/Question...
From: Gord Michaels <gord_michaels@HOTMAIL.COM>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 12:27:57 PDT
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Hello All.

I am running Netview 5.1, AIX 4.2.1, Framework 3.6.

In my environment, I use DCE. I have myself set up as a 'SrAdmin' user
within Netview and my Operators under the 'oper' group.

My Operators log into their AIX account and then Netview (oper group).

Then, I log into my AIX account (not root, but I have given Map ownership to
my AIX userid) and then into Netview under SrAdmin.

Now, after this, I have only read permissions and none of the privilages
which come with SrAdmin (i.e. I cannot unmanage devices, change symbols
names, etc). BUT, MY OPERATORS HAVE READ/WRITE PERMISSION AND HAVE ALL THE
SRADMIN PRIVILAGES !!!

It seems as if whoever logs into Netview first, get read/write and full
SrAdmin privilages. Whoever logs in after this, gets read only and oper
permissions, regardless of what group they belong to. I have to test this
yet, but from memory, it seems to be what is happening. Regardless, then end
result is not the way it should be.

Has anyone ever seen this before ???

Any help/advice appreciated.

Gord Michaels.