nvsecd & SRFs

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: nvsecd & SRFs
From: Ken Freeman <Ken.Freeman@WOOLWICH.CO.UK>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 15:40:42 +0100
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Any opinions expressed in this message are those of the sender only
and do not necessarily represent the views of WOOLWICH PLC or any
of its subsidiaries. The sender may not be authorised to give financial
advice and nothing in this message should be constructed as offering
such advice.

WOOLWICH PLC represents only WOOLWICH LIFE and WOOLWICH UNIT TRUST
MANAGERS which are regulated by the Personal Investment Authority for
Life Assurance and Unit Trust business
Hi all,

Environment: NetView/AIX v5.1.1 on AIX v4.2.1

Has anyone else suffered a problem with nvsecd when they have created/added
the smMlm* and smSia* SRFs to a profile in nvsec_admin?
I have found today that if I add these SRFs to a profile nvsecd cores when a
user tries to login using that profile (appears to be similar to IX78362
which was supposed to be fixed in v51.1.1). Is this a known problem?

I am also curious as to the rationale behind creating so many arf files for
the smMlm* and smSia* functions. The number of files to be converted to SRFs
before they can be utilised in nvsec_admin is horrendous.

Lastly, I found that after regenerating the ovw srf it didn't contain an
entry to authorise the use of ovw_binary (unlike the previous version) so
that the user access fails. I manually edited the srf and added an
ovw_binary entry, based on the v4 srf, and the user can now access NetView.
Has anyone else seen this?

Thanks for any assistance

Ken Freeman
Woolwich plc
The information contained in this message and any attachments are
are addressed. It may contain privileged and confidential information
and if you are not the intended recipient you must not copy, distribute
or take any action in reliance on it. If you have received this email in
error please notify the system manager (ADMINISTRATOR@WOOLWICH.CO.UK).

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept for
the presence of computer viruses.