[no subject]

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 12:31:17 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
>>Shouldn't the traps be parsed into the trapd.conf file when you load the mibs.

No,  NetView does not do this, but I believe the current HP OpenView does.

If you are missing the Object id, then the MIB you are trying to run through
mib2trap is probably incomplete.  It has to start with an enterprises definition
because mib2trap reads only the file you told it too and not the MIB database.
That would be a nice enhancement but it is not how the current code works.

I am not clear from your append whether you are getting errors from mib2trap or
from running the resulting addtrap output.

If from mib2trap, then you can overcome this problem in one of two ways.  You
can either locate the parent MIB to the one you are trying to load, the one that
does define the enterprise id, and concatenate the two into one big input file
for mib2trap or you can manually edit the MIB file you have and add the
enterprise statement.

If from addtrap, then you can edit the addtrap bat file and add the appropriate
-i <enterprise id> value in the command.

If all that seems like too much work, then you can always create the trap
settings you want manually.  Everything you need to know is spelled out in the
unformated trap in the Event Browser -- enterprise id, generic id, specific id
and variable contents.  mib2trap is just a convenience tool to get you started.
Most people still modify the trap format after it is initially added anyway.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Alok Gera <agera@RPM.COM> on 07/01/99 02:48:48 PM

      <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>