netmon, demand poll and collection what community ???

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: netmon, demand poll and collection what community ???
From: Jeff Fitzwater <jfitz@PRINCETON.EDU>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1999 16:04:47 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
I am running Netview 5.1.1 on Solaris 2.6.

I have devices with diferent snmp community names.

I have used "loadhosts" to populate map.

I have no nodes except loopback and Netview host in the xnmsnmpconf
file.

I have set the default community name in the xnmsnmpconf file to one of
the community names and let it do a config check over night.  I then set
it to the other community and let it do a config check again.

I then set the dafault back to public in the xnmsnmpconf GUI.

I have set up collections for the two groups of devices that have
different community names.

I have set the collection community names via the xnmsnmpconf file GUI
to the two different community names.

When I select a device from the collection group and use the pull-down
menu "demand-poll" it fails.

If I do an xnmsnmpconf -resolve "host from collection" the correct
community names is there.

If I use xnmbrowser it too fails because it uses the default of public.

No other menu item that uses snmp works, yet xnmsnmpconf -resolve
indicates the correct name for netmon to use.

Why does it use the dafault community name??

The OV HELP Chapter 102 "SNMP Configuration Dialog Box" indicates this
is the way it works. The only difference is the hosts were added via
LOADHOSTS and not discovered.

Is it broke?

Jeff Fitzwater
Princeton University