Re: trap popups in NT

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: trap popups in NT
From: "Boyles, Gary P" <gary.p.boyles@INTEL.COM>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 10:01:17 -0700
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
I use this all of the time.  It works fine.

Two things that have to be done:
  1)  You have to specify the full path-name, and the disk-drive (if not
      on drive "C".
  2)  You have to use double back-quotes when specifying the path.
        i.e.  D:\\usr\\OV\\bin\\nvecho.exe "$A $1"

I assume this is because of the standard use of the backslash as an
escape character.  Why MS decided to use it as a path-delimiter has
always been a mystery to me.  Oh well!

Finally, make sure that there is someone there to hit the "ok" button
and close the popup window (within some reasonable amount of time).
On one of my systems they tended to ignore this, and after a few hundred
popups appeared... the system seized up.

Regards,

Gary Boyles             gary.p.boyles@intel.com