Optivity 8.1.1 can run on Netview 5.1.1 and AIX 4.3.2

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Optivity 8.1.1 can run on Netview 5.1.1 and AIX 4.3.2
From: Winfried Gehrig <Winfried.Gehrig@SKF.COM>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 08:42:12 +0100
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Hello Mike,

Yes, Optivity 8.1.1 can run on top of AIX 4.3.2 with some minor problems.
As You know, we were forced by management to upgrade to a hopefully
Y2K-OS-version.

You have to modify some things to get it to work:

First, the script /usr/lnms/bin/opt_kshrc checks the underlying OS-level.
Make a copy of this script and add lines to be OS-level 4.3.2-compatible :-))
We have done it like this to support AIX4.3.x:

  +117  #Lines added by Amthor Gustav on 06/24/1999
  +118      AIX?3?4* )
  +119       OV_CONF=/usr/OV/conf
  +120       OV_BIN=/usr/OV/bin
  +121       OV_LIB=""

Second problem was, that the command "Validate Optivity-DB" can only be launched
 from the Netview-Window.
Therefore the database was emtpy.

Together with IBM-Hotline we have copied a file to be in line with old Motif1.2

cp /usr/lpp/X11/lib/R5/libXm.a     /usr/lpp/X11/Motif1.2/lib

Don't forget to Stop and Start Netview . After this, the Validation did run.

The only thing that is not runnning, is the launch of "Expanded View" for
Bay-boxes.
Even Nortel-experts in their European Customer-Service-Center Valbonne were not
able or eager to support,
afte we have carried out the upgrade.
Only Statement: Optivity 8.1.1 is not supported on AIX 4.3.2, wait for Optivity
9.x

Error-Message:
Cannot execute Symbol. One or more of the specified target objects no longer
meets the requirements of the
action "Expanded View" assigned to this symbol. See the functios helps entry to
find requirements. :-((

As a workaround, we do this with the "ev-command" from the command-line.
ev -I Ip-address -W SNMP-Write-password -R SNMP-Read-password

If You find the solution also for this, please let me know.

                      ```
                     (o o)
Winfried Gehrig         mailto:Winfried.Gehrig@skf.com
SKF GmbH                FON  ++49(0)9721 56 3077
Schweinfurt(Germany)    FAX  ++49(0)9721 56 3266

Our bearings turn the planet
http://www.skf.com

mike.raad@fr.ibm.com on 13.07.99 17:26:10