Re: Discovering specific objects as unmanaged in Netview for NT

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Discovering specific objects as unmanaged in Netview for NT
From: "Boyles, Gary P" <gary.p.boyles@INTEL.COM>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 11:36:48 -0700
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
I don't believe this is possible.  Maybe someone from Tivoli can
answer this one.

As a workaround, what we do is create a smart-set of objects with
the "isPC" or vendor=Microsoft as the smart-set rule. Then, we
can periodically go in and just unmanage the entire suite.

Actually, we've taken this a step farther.  Once we get our network
to a quiet state... I'll create a smart-set (called net_devices)
with all routers, hubs, and switches in it, use the utility
smartsetutil to get a list of all of the devices in the smartset
(e.g. smartsetutil l net_devices), and then use this list as the
basis for a seed-file.  Then I re-init the database, tell NetView
to use "Seed-File Only", and clean out all unwanted devices.

Since I'll know when new routers/switches/hubs are to be added...
I can just keep updating the seed-file from that point on.

Regards,

Gary Boyles