Re: NT vs UNIX for NetView 5.1.1???

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: NT vs UNIX for NetView 5.1.1???
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 17:00:06 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Don -

>>I have been told that the NT scales to about 1000 devices and the UNIX
scales to 20,000.

These numbers are really low and I don't recognize them.   The NetView which
comes with the IT Director product is the only one with a built-in limitation.
Otherwise, the real limitations are the size of the box, cpu and memory, and the
number of operators expected and so on.  The UNIX installation manual has an
appendix which deals with sizing equations and we routinely deal with customers
who have  well over 20,000 objects -- 50,000 to 60,000 is not uncommon (remember
that objects include boxes, interfaces, networks, and segments) and 80 to 90,000
are not unheard of.   Most of these large implementations employ several MLMs to
offload polling to downstream agents.

NetView for NT can handle several thousand objects as well, but it is perhaps a
bit more performance sensitive than UNIX .
But being newer there are no benchmarks that I know of.

I am sorry that I cannot point you to any more definitive information and I urge
you to try the Tivoli web site or the marketing folks to see what they have.   I
start my vacation today, so I'm afraid I don't have anything else I can offer.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Don Seitz <don_seitz@INS.COM> on 07/15/99 11:52:33 AM

      <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>