nvaddtrapconf Command Corrupts trapd.conf

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: nvaddtrapconf Command Corrupts trapd.conf
From: "Giovannini, Tom" <tom.giovannini@EDS.COM>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 15:49:42 -0500
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
We are in the process of modifying the trapd.conf file from a vendor to
include a TEC Class and TEC Slots using the optional  EVENT_CLASS Keyword.
After modifying the trapd.conf file and running it through the
nvaddtrapdconf utility we discover that the trapd.conf file is corrupted.

Extract from trapd.conf file follows:

                SM_IC_Error {1.3.6.1.4.1.733} 6 1111 a 4 0 "SMARTS Root
Causes"
                InCharge: Configuration Alert: $1. Restart InCharge
                EVENT_CLASS SM_IC_Error
                SDESC
                This event indicates that an internal InCharge configuration
error
                occurred.  InCharge restart is recommended.
                EDESC
                #
                # end of file processing
                #

When we run the xnmtrap utility to bring up the Event Configuration dialog
box we receive a error dialog box indicating:
Message text follows:
  " did not find a SDESC keyword in line #29 of
"/usr/OV/conf/C/Trapd.conf":EVENT_CLASS SM_IC Error. "

When we take a look at the "/usr/OV/conf/C/Trapd.conf" file we find the
following.  The highlighted line below is line 29:

                ###################
                #
                # Operator Actions:
                #
                ACTION 20 "Print Events" /usr/OV/bin/printEvents
                EVENT_CLASS SM_IC_Error
                SDESC
                Print events to printer with title and some filtering.
                EDESC
                ACTION 20 "Print Events with Topology Information"
/usr/OV/bin/printEvents -s
                SDESC

If we leave remove the optional EVENT_CLASS Keyword from the last entry in
the modified trapd.conf file everything seems to work ok.

When I run the nvaddtrapdconf command against the enclosed file named
conf1.txt everything works correctly and the /usr/OV/conf/C/trapd.conf is
updated correctly. You can run xnmtrap and review the changes.

However, when I perform the same operation on the file named conf2.txt all
appears to run correctly. When you try to launch the xnmtrap application, it
errors out with a message about line 29. The only difference between the two
files is that there is no EVENT_CLASS keyword defined for the last entry in
file one. Whenever we add the EVENT_CLASS to the last item, it errors out.
If you edit the trapd.conf file and delete the offending line 29, xnmtrap
works correctly.

 <<conf1.txt>>
 <<conf2.txt>>

Regards,

Tom Giovannini
EDS
Enterprise Management Engineering - South
Address:
        5400 Legacy Drive
        M/S:  A4-1C-38
        Plano, TX   75024
Phone:  (972) 604-4105 (8-834) Fax:  -4776
Internet:  tom.giovannini@eds.com