Re: Device color...

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Device color...
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 13:24:32 -0400
I think Jeff is referring to a bug which was part of the 5.1.1 code that was
withdrawn, but perhaps not.

It sounds to me like what you are seeing is perfectly normal, but that is
assuming that I understand what you are seeing.
On the Internet map, a router with many interfaces may be yellow, indicating
that some of its interfaces are actually down and some are not.  Now if you go
to the submap of an interface which is not down, then the router symbol on that
submap will be green, reflecting the status the router has in that subnet, and
not its status vis-a-vis other interfaces which are not shown.

In short if you go to the submap of an "up" interface, then your router symbol
should be green (unless it has multiple interfaces to that subnet and some of
them are down too but that is not usually the case).   It should be red on the
submap for a down interface.  Does that make sense?  This is how it has always
worked or should always work.

The bug Jeff referred too, I think, is that in the withdrawn version of  5.1.,
was that the higher level router symbol , on the Internet map, did not properly
change color (propagate status) when the underlying interfaces changed.  The
submaps were getting a flag turned on which would not allow any changes once
they were opened.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Gord Michaels <gord_michaels@HOTMAIL.COM> on 07/27/99 11:42:58 AM