Re: rulessets

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: rulessets
From: "Boyles, Gary P" <gary.p.boyles@INTEL.COM>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 07:37:21 -0700
Anthony,
I'm not sure if you're talking about switches or routers... but here's
the solution I use for routers.

1)  Write a script that gets the next-hop address from every
    non-router node you're monitoring.
2)  When that node goes down... you ping the next-hop address
    to see if its up.
3)  If the next-hop address is down, then you just toss out
    the original event... because you're assuming the router
    interface is down, and not the node.
    (However)
    If the next-hop does respond... then you assume the
    event is real... and process it like you would any other
    real event.

Note:
The next-hop address is a MIB-II variable, and just about
every agent supports it.

Regards,

Gary Boyles, Intel Corp.