Re: netview nt & paging, monitoring Netware servers

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: netview nt & paging, monitoring Netware servers
From: "Chris J. Garlick" <chris.garlick@EU.EFFEM.COM>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 09:06:59 +0100
Stephan Kostyk wrote:-

>> Has anyone implemented paging software for Netview on NT?

>>2ndly, is there any 3rd party software which plays with Netview
>>for NT to monitor Netware servers?

Hi Stephan

Paging - nearly, but not quite...(!); I run 'Etherpage' from Personal
Productivity Tools (www.ppt.com) on HP-UX, and I know it's available for
just about every other platform.  Brilliant, simple, always works, very
cost-effective.  Works with any TAP-compliant paging service provider (ie
most of them) via a simple dialup - in the UK we use a provider called
'PageOne' but I suppose you're probably in the US.   I had to sign a simple
agreement with PageOne and pay a trivial annual fee based on my 'estimate'
of the number of pages per day we would be sending.  Network latency (ie
time from my HPOV box sending the page to page being received) is around 60
secs for a 256 char text message.

Netware monitoring - what kind of hardware do you have ?  If you use Compaq
then you can use the Compaq Insight Agents which come on the Compaq
Management CD; these sit on top of the regular Netware SNMP agents
(SNMP.NLM and NWTRAP.NLM) and give you very specific hardware- and OS-
related stuff.   I manage all my Netware through a combination of these and
the regular Netware agents, which are generally pretty good but a bit
archaic to configure.  The basic Netware server MIB is good, and the
'Alert' MIB (where all the traps are defined) is comprehensive - I think
there are 378 trap definitions in there for everything from 'NLM Loaded' to
'Volume almost full'.   The only downside is that you need to configure the
events manually in NV (actually I use OV), which means you need to know
which ones you care about, and have a pretty good understanding of the
varbinds, what specific traps actually imply, etc.  If you need something
to snap in more tightly with NV then I'm afraid I can't comment, other than
to say that there is a Compaq package that does this if you're a Compaq
shop; I would bet there's something similar for the other big server
players like Dell etc, and almost certainly for HP.

If you need any more info about setting this stuff up, give me a shout and
I'll try to help.

Kind Regards

      NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.ucsb.edu>