Re: RES: ping response

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: RES: ping response
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 10:24:53 -0400
Marcos, this sounds reasonable to me, but I'm a software person. If this
is what is going on, what should we be doing in Netview to make them come
back as quickly as possible?  Status polling is just doing a ping, which is
apparently not enough. Force a new-node discovery poll? Is this related
to the setting on the server's interface card regarding broadcast? I have
recently been instructed by Support to make sure the Token Ring card
has the 'confine broadcast to local token-ring' to 'no'.  I have not checked
that at the customer I mentioned in my other note who was having a
similar problem.

Frantsen

This problems happens because when you4ve unpluged this port the entry in
the switch ARP-table and Netview ARP-table were refreshed (possible
deleted). Netview wasn4t able to translate IP to MAC and consequently wasn4t
able to find the machine.
When someone ping through another machine at the same segment, it4s
generated a ARP broadcast to discovery the MAC, in that moment the switch
and Netview make a new entry in your ARP-table. After that they are able to
send any IP-packet to this machine.