Re: cpu at startup of netmon (was AW: ping response)

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: cpu at startup of netmon (was AW: ping response)
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 20:31:20 -0400
When netmon first starts up it has a bunch of stuff to do. That big spike of
cpu (aside from ovwdb loading) is probably due in part to netmon checking
every single object in the database against all of the settings in your
snmp configuration (polling cyles, timeout and retry, etc.) When it is done
with that it can get on with the network-intensive part of doing the
configuation
polll, then it can get started on the status poll.

And every time you change that snmp configuration, of course netmon
has to do that all over again.  A good reason to avoid making trivial changes.

To see it doing all of this, you can turn on netmon tracing at the startup by
putting it in the netmon.lrf. See the man page for netmon for the flags to use
on the 'm' parm.

(

Hi, group.
Running AIX 4.2.1.0, NV5.1.1, Framework 3.6.
Box is F50 / 1GB RAM / ca. 18500 objects in database.
Continously monitoring CPU-load and network-traffic of my box.
Every time I stop and restart netmon (or change my SNMP-config),
i am getting the same picture:
CPU-load goes up and stays up (near 100%).
Network-traffic goes down and stays down (ca. 1-5 packets/sec).
After approx. 20 min's netmon suddenly wakes up,
network-traffic peaks out (from an average of 60 packets/sec
up to 500 packets/sec and more).
Afterwards things settle down...
Makes an rather interesting graph ;-)
I think (and watch). Waiting for clues...
Regards, Ralph.
iT-AUSTRIA / OE2100 / TK
Tel  (mobil)  0664 1908469
Tel  (iT-A)    21717 58948