Using VLAN (Virtual LANs) with NetView

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Using VLAN (Virtual LANs) with NetView
From: "Chance, Larry" <lchance@SFBCIC.COM>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 14:26:39 -0500
Has any experienced how to handle objects on the NetView maps
when you have VLANs defined through your backbone switch?

I did have the convenience of having segregation among my segments.
I try to have my maps show the devices on each floor of the buildings.
But now, with VLANs, these devices may be located on any floor and
NetView thinks they are in a common IP subnet/segment, topology wise.
Thus, making the map somewhat inaccurate.  Of course, it's doing this
by IP assignments so it's really not the fault of NetView.
I just need a solution or idea to handle VLANs presented on the NetView
topology map.

Thanks,

Larry