Re: NetView Collections (nvcold) problem and questions

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: NetView Collections (nvcold) problem and questions
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 11:52:41 -0400
Yes, collections should be updated dynaamically on the read-write map.  On a
read-only map, you would have to do a refresh to
see additions or deletions.

At your level of code this will be hard to deal with.   I don't recognize the
Level 4.1E but I thought we were at 4.1G.
Check with your Digital representative and get the latest fix level.   In any
case of course V4 is out of support, so all you
can do is apply maintenance and hope for the best.

Do you have a binary called colmaint or one called nvUtil in /usr/OV/bin?  I
doubt it.  I think colmaint was not shipped on
Digital and nvUtil was added in V5.  The purpose of these utilities here would
be to list the collection at the time you have
a problem and determine which objects are members and which are not.   Failing
that you could use the Collection editor (you
should be able to start this with the command   collectioned   from  a command
line as well as from the GUI pull-down menu).
The resolve function should give a current list of members.  Is the one you are
missing in there?

If the object in question is not in the "resolve" list then I don't know what
to tell you.  If it should be then that is a
problem  with nvcold.  But map placement is the responsibility of collmap,
which is the application which puts collections on
the map.  It is started automatically when you start the GUI, but you might
want to check and see that it is still running
(with ps -ef) when you have a problem.  If it is not running then you can
restart it from the Administer menu on the GUI.
If it is still running and your collections aren't correct, then you can back
up to the collection icon and use the edit
function to delete it.  You are not deleting the collection just its map
representation, and collmap should put it right back
on the map again.  It will be blue until you open it and gradually all the
nodes should be put back.  In the past, this
rebuild operation would sometimes restore a collection with not all of its
members shown.

Good luck.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support