Re: Data Collections

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Data Collections
From: Frantsen Christian <cf@INTERNOC.SE>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 15:26:13 +0200
Hi!

In mib.coerce i have added this

.1.3.6.1.2.1.1.3 COUNTER

When doing this netview makes a calculation on the value it get's from
the mib-variable. The result is the rate of change over that period.

-- man mib.coerce --

For example, if the sampled counter value is 1000 at 12:00:00 and
1600 at 12:00:30, the rate of change over that period is
(1600-1000) / 30 seconds, or 20 per second.  The data collector
stores the value 20.

This counter calculation yields the rate of change per second.
The rate of change is stored instead of the raw counter values
because it is more important to know how fast counters are
changing than what their value is at a given time.  If the value
at the second sample is smaller than the value at the first
sample, the first sample is ignored because the counter has
wrapped or because the node has been re-initialized.

-- man mib.coerce --

So if I collect sysUptime every minut I get a value of 6000 / 60 = 100.
But if the unit has been down say 20 seconds i get 4000 / 60 = ~67

Could you clarify the mibExpr.conf tihng some more, maybe with a little
example =)

/Christian