Re: Netmon "freezing" in Netview 4.1.2

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Netmon "freezing" in Netview 4.1.2
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 12:56:23 -0400
When you can't get through to netmon to get it to turn on tracing, you
need to make it start up with tracing already enabled. This is done with
the -m (little m ) parameter. You can put -m -1 right in the ovsuf file, or
do it properly by putting it in /usr/OV/lrf/netmon.lrf and doing
ovdelobj  /usr/OV/lrf/netmon.lrf
ovaddobj  /usr/OV/lrf/netmon.lrf
Then stop/start netmon. Don't forget to take the tracing back out.

Hi People,

I have a customer with a huge ATM network (a Telco company).
And we are having the following problem, with no apparent reason
the netmon daemon just "freeze".

What this means?

This means that I do not have any status check any more. I try to
start the daemon tracing (with netmon -M 15 for example) and it
doesn't work (simply nothing happen).

Any suggestion?

Some notes about configuration:

AIX 4.3.1 with 1GB RAM
Number of objects in database: about 16000
RES_RETRY and RES_TIMEOUT equal to 1
We have a secondary Name Server running in our machine just for
Netview

Some ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Claudio Medeiros