Re: nvdbformat - does it work?

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: nvdbformat - does it work?
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 10:08:23 -0400
This command can take a long time, depending on the size of the database
and what you are asking it to do. It works for me every time. If there are
syntax
errors in your input file, it will come back quickly with error messages. So if
it
is taking a long time, that is probably a good sign. You might start up some
kind of monitoring tool (tops, monitor, vmstat,etc) and you should expect to
see a LOT of cpu utilization while it is running.  If you are doing something
simple
like listing members of a collection, you will get faster results by just using
the
nvUtil command instead.

I'm using Netview 5.1, AIX 4.1(I know, I know, it's soon to be upgraded) -
when I start nvdbformat, it just hangs, doesn't do anything.
I'm using this : nvdbformat -f input.txt. Should be right, right? Anyone
else have this problem?
mfg,
Howard Allison
Softcom Consulting GmbH