Re: MIB collection vs MIB browsing on NetView for NT

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: MIB collection vs MIB browsing on NetView for NT
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 17:10:44 -0400
Someone sitting in front of a mib browser might chime in with a more specific
answer, but in general, Mib variables that have these variable instance ids are
not what  the data collector was designed to handle. There is likely a table
somewhere else in the mib that maps the ports to those instance ids, so it is
really a two-step process and the data collector is designed for a one-step
process - mostly to gather counts that increase rather than monitor changes
in state of an enumeration field.

Many devices are more than willing to send traps when these state changes
occur, and those traps often contain port/slot information. Have you checked
into enabling those traps?

(248) 552-4968 Voicemail, Fax, Pager

---------------------- Forwarded by Leslie Clark/Southfield/IBM on 10/05/99

Alec Himwich <HIMWICH@QUALEXPHOTO.COM> on 10/05/99 11:33:40 AM