Re: Netview can't discover MLM-agents

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Netview can't discover MLM-agents
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 10:39:33 -0400
When the MLM first comes up on a node, Netview finds out about it in different
ways. It should discover it after a demandpoll of that system, or a daily
configuration
poll, or maybe a stop/start of netmon, or after the MLM reports itself to
Netview.  It
appears that either  (1) you  have configured the trap destination on the MLM
(to point
to the server), or (2) Netview found the MLM and set that destination
automatically,
because when you  restarted the midmand, it reported itself UP and that news
went to
Netview via it's startup trap. So there is no longer a problem, right?  Or are
you
talking about a repeating problem?

About your second question, maybe someone else can help. I think that has to do
with mib monitoring via snmp between the mlm and the nodes in its area, and the
mlm is
saying it can't reach that remote node. But I haven't used that function much.
But
you might want to review the part of the installation of MLM where they talk
about
the ovsnmp.conf file.

Dear all.
1. Our netview is unable to discover the MLM agents.
But if i stop the midmand process on the clients and start it again,
netview discovers the agents immediatly.
What could be the reason for that?
What can i do the solve the problem?
2. What is the reason when the trap "session between mlm and ... is down"
appears.
Is this a problem of wrong configuration on the mlm side,
or could it be a network/router problem?
Thanx inb advance for your help.

mit freundlichen Gruessen/ with best regards

 Jens Mueller