Re: APM Alias and NetView Collection question

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: APM Alias and NetView Collection question
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 1999 12:36:05 -0400
When I do APM stuff, and I admittedly do pretty simle APM stuff usually
with only one MLM, I do this:

1) make collections of target nodes, eg AIX server, NT servers, Cisco Rtrs, etc

2) Modify the existing mlm-domain collection for the MLM to include those
collections.
For instance, by default the domain collection for the MLM will have the
subnet-type
of clause that gets it all of the nodes on the same subnet at the MLM. Since I
am
usually not using the MLM for status polling, I blow off that clause and add
Collection-type clauses (OR'd)  naming the collections I made in step 1.

3) When you make a policy (eg a threshold), when you assign it to a target, you
pick the collection of target nodes (eg NT servers). When you go to actually
distribute it, netview will figure out which MLM handles that collection  (based
on
the mlm-domain collection) and send the threshold definiton to that MLM.

If you have target nodes of the same type (eg Cisco Routers) spread across
multiple MLMs, then you need a trickier way to to assign them to the correct
MLM. But that assignment is made by customizing the domain collection for
each MLM. I believe (but I don't think I've done this with multiple MLMs) that
if
the target is a collection (eg rtrs) that spans multiple MLMs, and the nodes
have been assigned to the domain collections properly, then netview will
automatically figure out which MLM to send each node's policy to at the
time of distribution in the APM distribution dialog.

The point is that the manual makes it sound harder than it is. I have never
figured out aliases, and never even look at those tables in smconfig.

Running NetView 5.1 on AIX 4.2

I am setting up APM to manage an alias which i intend to contain the nodes found
within a NetView C5d collection.

The APM alias will then be distributed to a MLM running on an AIX4.2 server.
For use in MLM thresholding and Data Collection.

My question is --     How do you get the alias List: to contain the nodes from
the collection?

The only place a collection is referenced is Collection Assignments for the
Distribute Policy function.

Thanks for any help.