Re: NETMON causing high SNMP Util on router

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: NETMON causing high SNMP Util on router
From: Marc Russo <mrusso@AL.IISL.COM>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 16:19:06 -0500
I've seen the same problem at several of my customers sites.  How large are
your routing tables? I've seen the SNMP process run the cpu really high when
netmon is trying to get the routing table.  The following lines in your
cisco configs will prevent netmon from getting the routing table (ip.21) via
snmp.  I haven't really seen any negative effects to blocking the routing
table, but their might be some.

        snmp-server view demandpoll mib-2 included
        snmp-server view demandpoll ip.21 excluded
        snmp-server view demandpoll private included
        snmp-server community whatever RW
        snmp-server community public view demandpoll RO

You can also use a sniffer to help determine exactly what is happening.
That is how we initially solved the problem.

Marc Russo (mrusso@al.iisl.com)
International Integrated Solutions, LTD